Monday, April 26, 2010

Lately I've been all about the RHUBARB. For a few reasons....

1. I love it anyway shape or form

2. It's really really good for you. There are new studies out that rhubarb has an anti-cancer agent. It is also antioxidant and is being studied as a glucose regulator.

3. I have a lot in my freezer and want to use it up before this years crop is up.

It is really one of the easiest plants to grow up here. It's a perennial and I enjoy what it looks like so that makes it nice to use when landscaping. We also get two harvests of it in Alaska.


The new Martha Stewart Living Magazine had something like 6 full pages all about rhubarb and recipes. I tried a few new ones out and they were AWESOME!

Rhubarb Upside Down Cake- it has a crumb topping that actually ends up on the bottom. YUM. I would add more rhubarb than what it said on the recipe.

Rhubarb Meringue Pie- I think this might be my new pie for the holidays! I liked it even more than lemon meringue. Tip: if you are going to make this pie don't bother with a juicer as the recipe stated (who has a juicer anyway?). Use frozen rhubarb (or freeze first if you have fresh) then thaw out over a strainer and squeeze out the juice. It is sooo much easier and you don't have to mess with the pulp.

On a side note...my yard is finally getting the work it needed before planting time begins. FYI to all those that are slacking or having a hard time getting help....hire a teenager! It's worth the money to hire someone to help. It's amazing what got done in my yard in 6 hours! I don't know if it's when money is involved or when you bring in help from outside the family but whatever it is I'm doing it again! Teenagers also need the extra cash as well. :)

Easy recipes...Do you like rhubarb?
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

akrhubarb said...

Good job Leslie. You are a baker and both of your grandmas would be so proud. Dang, I'd rather bake than cook. I'd eat raw vegetables all day just to be able to eat that meringue pie again. That's my new favorite BD wish! Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
South Central, Alaska, United States
Love, joy, procrastination, and frustration of a Urban Alaskan Gardener Cook and most importantly Mother of three.... It might not always be pretty but I wouldn't trade it for anything! Life long Alaskan who really does not enjoy the ever so long winters. However, I live for my summers. My body decides that when the light comes (and let me tell you we get a lot), sleep no more, have time to make up for. I enjoy cooking/baking/decorating but my passion is gardening. I always set out for things to be perfect but usually settle for a lot less because frankly I don't have the time or patience (3 children under the age of 5 need I say more...oh yeah...and a husband:) So to sum me up I'm an introverted, detail oriented, procrastinator that hates to be late for anything and rarey finishes a project. I love my family and friends and throughly enjoy being able to take care of my children and watch them grow everyday!