Tuesday, August 17, 2010


Bread and Butter Zuchinni and Yellow Squash Pickles....Check

We came home from a lovely vacation to bumper crop of zuchinni and yellow squash! That's the only thing that seems to be growing de cent in this rain.
I then proceeded to pick all the ones that were ready thinking that I would have the time to put together veggie boxes for my customers. Well the boxes never happened that week and I stared at a milk crate full of zucchini for a couple days hoping that some magic lady would appear and do something good with it. Alas....no magic lady. They were still in great shape and probably in the condition you would find at the store but I don't like to sell anything that I haven't picked within 2 days.

So....One evening I put the kids to bed early (miracle in itself) and just as I began to start on my pickles I heard the pitter patter of my two year old. "I wanna help you mommy." My immediate reaction at 10 pm was "no you need to go back to bed" His response "See mommy I have a knife. I just want to make you happy" Well as you can see the 2 year old runs the house and learned how to make pickles that night. We did have fun and some good giggles mixed in. :)

If you have yet to make pickles I highly recommend the bread and butter pickle recipe. They are NOT hard to make....I promise.
They are so good but really anything pickled seems to be.




Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
South Central, Alaska, United States
Love, joy, procrastination, and frustration of a Urban Alaskan Gardener Cook and most importantly Mother of three.... It might not always be pretty but I wouldn't trade it for anything! Life long Alaskan who really does not enjoy the ever so long winters. However, I live for my summers. My body decides that when the light comes (and let me tell you we get a lot), sleep no more, have time to make up for. I enjoy cooking/baking/decorating but my passion is gardening. I always set out for things to be perfect but usually settle for a lot less because frankly I don't have the time or patience (3 children under the age of 5 need I say more...oh yeah...and a husband:) So to sum me up I'm an introverted, detail oriented, procrastinator that hates to be late for anything and rarey finishes a project. I love my family and friends and throughly enjoy being able to take care of my children and watch them grow everyday!