Thursday, May 6, 2010


Cinco de Mayo in ALASKA

My oldest son's 6th birthday falls on Cinco de Mayo and we always throw a party! This year we had 60 degree weather with full sunny skies the day before. Then.....on party day, it drops to the 40's and it's raining sideways. What's amazing is that this didn't stop our amazing friends and family to come and have fun (50+people)~! One of our friends (thanks Todd) ran (well drove his truck really) back to his house to get a tarp. He comes back with the largest tarp I have ever seen. Now remember, my husband and I are true hicks from Delta Jct. so I've seen a lot of tarps but this one was gigantic!!

I made Colton's shark cupcakes (idea from Martha Stewart's Cupcakes) and beach cake with his directions on where to put the guy waving for help. :) I made Seven Minute Frosting as that's our family favorite and the one my grandma always made. Only takes egg whites, sugar and cream of tarter to make so it comes in handy in a pinch too. Plus it has to be healthy because it has egg whites and no butter right? :)

Bison Tacos (very healthy for you with whole wheat tortillas)
Homemade Baked Beans (just put black, kidney,garbanzo,butter beans in with one can of baked beans and added molasses, brown sugar, dry mustard, regular mustard,dried onions, pepper, and a little ketchup to taste in a crock pot)
Tons of veggies and fruit
Salad with feta, cucumber, craisins (dressing balsamic vinegar/honey/olive oil/salt/pepper)
Chips n Salsa
Espressos from Bear Mountain Espresso (perks of owning your own shop:)

It was a great day and thanks to all who could make it!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
South Central, Alaska, United States
Love, joy, procrastination, and frustration of a Urban Alaskan Gardener Cook and most importantly Mother of three.... It might not always be pretty but I wouldn't trade it for anything! Life long Alaskan who really does not enjoy the ever so long winters. However, I live for my summers. My body decides that when the light comes (and let me tell you we get a lot), sleep no more, have time to make up for. I enjoy cooking/baking/decorating but my passion is gardening. I always set out for things to be perfect but usually settle for a lot less because frankly I don't have the time or patience (3 children under the age of 5 need I say more...oh yeah...and a husband:) So to sum me up I'm an introverted, detail oriented, procrastinator that hates to be late for anything and rarey finishes a project. I love my family and friends and throughly enjoy being able to take care of my children and watch them grow everyday!