Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Waffles
So what I really want to be doing is gardening. This week my goal is to get all of my seedlings and yard ready for planting. Yeah right. We seem to be really good at doing things last minute. I have always had a love hate relationship with May. With my scheduled packed as full as it can be I get a little stressed out. So, what do I do.....BAKE....and EAT....and oh yeah Workout....but baking is what I do when I'm stressed and I just let everything else fall to the side while I eat the rewards and....workout :) However, because I like to bake AND eat I try and make things as healthy as possible and have found that I prefer the whole grain hearty taste better now too.

This morning I made waffles for breakfast. Whole Wheat Buttermilk Waffles. I made 3 batches (yep 3) and froze the majority of them to pop in the toaster throughout the next couple of months for the kiddos and for me (late night snack!) I figure if I'm already making 1 batch I might as well take the little extra time and make a few more to help me out when I don't have the time to cook or when we want breakfast/dinner on the run. (tip:put parchment paper in between the layers when you freeze them so they are easy to take apart later)

My kids will grab these off the counter and eat them plain for a snack.

Whole Wheat Buttermilk Waffles...by the way...this does not have to be exact.
1 3/4 cup whole wheat
1 3/4 cup lowfat buttermilk
2 tbsp canola oil
1/2-1 cup applesauce (I used a homemade blueberry sauce I had made last year)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 eggs (you can use egg whites instead just use 4 instead)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp. flat seed

Tip: if you don't have buttermilk, just substitute regular milk but use 1 tbsp. baking powder and no baking soda)

Toppings:
maple syrup
peanut butter
jelly
nutella
bananas
berries

ENJOY!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
South Central, Alaska, United States
Love, joy, procrastination, and frustration of a Urban Alaskan Gardener Cook and most importantly Mother of three.... It might not always be pretty but I wouldn't trade it for anything! Life long Alaskan who really does not enjoy the ever so long winters. However, I live for my summers. My body decides that when the light comes (and let me tell you we get a lot), sleep no more, have time to make up for. I enjoy cooking/baking/decorating but my passion is gardening. I always set out for things to be perfect but usually settle for a lot less because frankly I don't have the time or patience (3 children under the age of 5 need I say more...oh yeah...and a husband:) So to sum me up I'm an introverted, detail oriented, procrastinator that hates to be late for anything and rarey finishes a project. I love my family and friends and throughly enjoy being able to take care of my children and watch them grow everyday!